Since 1994, Friends of Cheat has been working to fulfill its mission of restoring, preserving, and promoting the outstanding natural qualities of the Cheat River watershed. As a supporter of our organization, you may wonder exactly what that means. The quick answer is that without your support – your financial contributions, your volunteering, your help spreading the word about our work – without you, our mission would mean very little. Our successes, our needs, and the river we all love – depend on your help. Conversely, this mission is a reflection of the many achievements Friends of Cheat can accomplish with your support.
Over the years, the backing and financial contributions of supporters like you has ultimately allowed our organization to expand its programming and make impactful on-the-ground improvements in the watershed. Today, because of you, we are engaged in all the core actions of our mission statement.
In just the last year, your financial contributions have helped Friends of the Cheat:
- Continue maintenance and data collection at nearly 30 water treatment sites throughout the watershed by our expert team of water monitoring staff.
- Work with the WV State Rail Authority to purchase 8 miles of rail corridor from CSX for development into a non-motorized rail-trail along the Cheat River Narrows. Also – the Cheat River Rail-Trail was awarded $150,000 for the first phase of design and construction!
- Raise over $6000 through our Whitewater Access Campaign – which payed for repairs along Bull Run Rd.
- Promote Cheat River recreation with a very successful Cheat River Festival – save the date for the 2017 Cheat River Festival 1.5 – May 5th-6th – tickets available now!
- Organize the largest group of paddlers to float the river through the Meet the Cheat events.
- Build restroom facilities at the Doug Ferris Outdoor Classroom for Cheat Canyon paddlers, Allegheny Trail hikers.
- Partner with the WV Adventure Program and engage over 230 students in volunteer service work – resulting in $12,661 of inkind matched funds for our BSROP grant.
- Raise over $13,000 for the 2016 Run For It 5k in Davis, WV – and come in 3rd in most funds raised.
- Support the FOC CAPABLE program by raising over $3000 on #GivingTuesday.
Other reasons 2016 rocked – FOC/DEPP partnership has been renewed for another 3 years! We hired a new technician, Brian Hurley – as Jeremy Sidebottom left to further his education and travel the world. FOC was named Top Water Conservation Group in the Southeast by Blue Ridge Outdoors.
And best of all – The Cheat River was one of 2016 EPA 319 Success Stories – declaring the Cheat River “reborn!”