REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS FOR LICENSED REMEDIATION SPECIALIST
Cheat River Rail-Trail Corridor – BAJ 3.0 to BAJ 11.1
RFP_CheatRTLRS_6.25 (opens RFP as PDF in separate window)
Location and Background
Proposal Evaluation and Selection Procedure
Friends of Cheat (FOC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization located in Kingwood, West Virginia, dedicated to restoring, preserving, and promoting the outstanding natural qualities of the Cheat River watershed. FOC is working in partnership with the West Virginia State Rail Authority (WVSRA) to purchase and develop rail corridor currently owned by CSXT for conversion to a non-motorized rail-trail. As part of this process, FOC and WVSRA will remediate the property and obtain a Certificate of Completion from the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection (WVDEP) through its Voluntary Remediation Program (VRP). FOC seeks proposals from qualified Licensed Remediation Specialists (LRS) to provide environmental management and oversight clean-up activities, including, but not limited to: soil abatement, site clean-up, and navigation of the property through the WVDEP’s Voluntary Remediation Program.
Signed proposals will be accepted until 4:00pm EST Tuesday, July 22, and should include the following:
- Letter of interest;
- List of personnel involved (LRS and any support staff) in the remediation activities with descriptions of their qualifications;
- List and description of similar projects implemented in the last five years, including specific experience with WVDEP VRP, rail corridor/rail-trail remediation, and non-profit organizations;
- Proposed timeline – a timeline for review of existing documents, delivering remedial action plan, and preparing bid specification documents;
- List of organizational contacts, including names and phone numbers, to serve as references; and
- Any other relevant performance data.
Separate inclusion in proposal package
Enclose in a separate, clearly labeled, sealed envelope a fee schedule for all tasks described in the scope of work. Costs included in the proposal must be all-inclusive, including any outsourced or contracted work. Outsourced or contracted work must be clearly identified and described. All costs and fees must be clearly described in each proposal.
NOTE: The fee schedule will not be opened until after the selection of the proposal is determined.
Location and Background
The site is currently a railroad right-of-way owned by CSX Transportation, Inc. The site is located south of Kingwood near the confluence of Morgan Run and the Cheat River and runs approximately eight (8) contiguous miles parallel to the Cheat River and State Route 72 to Rowlesburg. The right-of-way averages 30 feet in width along the entire length of the site totaling approximately 130 acres. The site runs along the western side of the Cheat River on the northern portion and then crosses over the Cheat River via a bridge and runs along the eastern side of the Cheat River. Several tributaries of the Cheat River intersect the site. Areas adjoining the right-of-way are sloping toward the Cheat River. The site was developed as a railroad since at least 1907 and was formerly called the Morgantown and Kingwood Railroad and the Baltimore and Ohio (B&O) Railroad. CSX removed the railroad tracks in 2008. The site is mainly covered by gravel (ballast) and the remaining property is vegetated with grasses, shrubs, and trees or covered by outcrop and boulders. Creosote treated railroad ties still remain on portions of the site. Based on the analytical results, arsenic, indeno(1,2,3-cd)pyrene, dibenz(a,h)anthracene, naphthalene, carbazole, benzo(a)pyrene, benzo(a)anthracene, and benzo(b)fluoranthene were detected above their respective WV de Minimus Standards (Phase II ESA, May 2012).
The selected LRS shall complete remediation planning and assist in the oversight of the soil abatement, preparation of bid documents and assisting in the hiring of a contractor to perform clean-up of property, and navigate the site through the VRP. The specific objectives of this scope of work are to:
- Review existing site assessment data and reports to determine the best approach to implement the selected remedial alternative in accordance with the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection (WVDEP) Voluntary Remediation Program (VRP);
- Provide an executable clean-up plan as determined by the requirements of the West Virginia Voluntary Remediation Program in a written report and an oral presentation;
- Serve as the Licensed Remediation Specialist of record, ensuring compliance of the clean-up with the Voluntary Remediation Agreement;
- Prepare written plans and specifications suitable for bidding and based upon the selected plan of action (remedial action plan);
- Conduct project oversight of clean-up activities, including on-site inspection and testing as deemed appropriate by the FOC, WVSRA, and WVDEP; and
- Provide project progress reports to representatives of the project team at agreed upon intervals and attend meetings with WVDEP and other regulatory stakeholders as needed.
An executed Voluntary Remediation Agreement between WVDEP and FOC/WVSRA is required by CSXT prior to closing the property sale. CSXT and FOC/WVSRA have set an informal goal of closing the property deal by November 1, 2015.
Proposal Evaluation and Selection Procedure
The Request for Proposals are publically advertised in the Dominion Post on June 29 and July 1, 2015.
In accordance with the organization’s procurement procedures, FOC will evaluate proposals to identify the firm(s) most highly qualified to perform the work. The evaluation criteria will include:
- Specialized experience, technical competence, and qualifications of the firm;
- Quality and completeness of the proposal;
- Experience with the Cheat River Rail-Trail project and Preston Rail-Trail initiatives, previous;
- Experience of the firm with the WVDEP Voluntary Remediation Program;
- Experience of the firm with similar remediation projects (non-profit managed rail-trail development);
- References of good report; and
- The proposed task timeline.
FOC may request additional information from firms through in-person interviews. The price may be negotiated with the highest qualified firm to provide fair and reasonable compensation and to maximize contract value.
Terms and Conditions
All proposals shall be confidential until FOC has fully executed a contract with the selected consultant. FOC and respondents shall make no additional distribution of the proposal prior to execution of the contract. Upon execution of the contract, all information disclosed by respondents pursuant to this RFP shall be open to public inspection.
FOC shall not be liable for any costs incurred by respondents in responding to this RFP, or in the provision of information pursuant to this RFP, including interviews, negotiations, and other information deemed useful or necessary by FOC in awarding and executing a contract. FOC shall not accept or reimburse any cost or charge incurred prior to FOC’s execution of a contract and such cost shall not be included in any part of the cost proposal.
Ownership of all data, material, and documentation, originating and prepared for FOC pursuant to this RFP shall belong exclusively to FOC. FOC reserves the right to utilize any or all information, plans, and materials submitted in any manner, however, such utilization shall in no way create an obligation for payment by FOC to any respondent.
Only written (e-mail acceptable) queries concerning this RFP shall be accepted or answered. All queries shall be sent to:
Friends of the Cheat
119 S. Price Street, Suite 206
Kingwood, WV 26537
Information from other FOC officials or employees is used at the respondent’s own risk and FOC shall not be bound by any such information. Queries related to the preparation and submission of a response to the RFP must be received by 5:00pm, Friday, July 17.
To ensure that all respondents have equal information, written copies of all queries and answers will be compiled and issued to all registered recipients of the RFP. These queries and answers are considered a part of the RFP and may revise or correct the original RFP.
After the close of the query period, queries concerning the project or the RFP cannot be answered except by quoting the RFP.
FOC reserves the right and fully intends to make investigations of the proposals, qualifications, and experience of the respondents as it deems appropriate.
By submitting a proposal, the respondent certifies that this RFP was fully read and understood. The filing of a proposal in response to this RFP shall constitute an agreement of the respondent to the procedures, terms, and conditions set forth herein, except where expressly noted otherwise.
Each respondent is responsible for ensuring that all information provided in the proposal is accurate and complete in its entirety. Any misstatements of facts, misrepresentations, or errors in the proposal may, at the sole discretion of FOC, be cause for disqualification.